Last Updated: August 2021
Great Gulf Group of Companies is committed to complying with the Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act, 2005 (AODA) and the Human Rights Code, R.S.O. 1990, c. H.19 (“Ontario Human Rights Code”) as it pertains to people with disabilities.
Great Gulf Group of Companies is committed to excellence in serving all customers including people with disabilities. in accordance with both the Ontario Human Rights Code and the AODA. This policy outlines what persons with disabilities can expect from us. Our accessible customer service policies are consistent with the principles of independence, dignity, integration and equality of opportunity for people with disabilities.
People with disabilities are permitted to use their personal assistive devices when accessing our goods, services or facilities. When assistive devices present a significant and unavoidable health or safety concern or may not be permitted for other reasons, Great Gulf Group of Companies will find other measures to ensure the person with a disability can access our goods, services or facilities.
Staff will be trained and familiar with various assistive devices where assistive devices are available at our office(s) that may be used by customers with disabilities while accessing our goods, services or facilities.
Great Gulf Group of Companies will communicate and interact with people with disabilities in ways that accommodate for and take into account their disability and enable them to use and receive our services, products services and facilities. This includes providing all communication in accessible formats. If a person with a disability needs an accessible format, or help to communicate with us, Great Gulf Group of Companies will work with the person with a disability to determine the method of communication that works best for them. Great Gulf Group of Companies will aim to meet the person’s particular requirement in a reasonable timeframe, keep them informed of the process and work with them to determine an alternate method if necessary. Where applicable, a summary of the information will be provided
People with disabilities may bring their service animal on parts of our premises that are open to the public.
If an animal is not easily identified as a service animal, our staff may ask for documentation (template, letter or form) from a regulated health professional that confirms the person needs the service animal for reasons relating to their disability. A service animal can be easily identified through visual indicators, such as when it wears a harness or a vest, or when it helps the person perform certain tasks. Below is a list of regulated health professionals, defined as a member of one of the following colleges:
- College of Audiologists and Speech-Language Pathologists of Ontario
- College of Chiropractors of Ontario
- College of Nurses of Ontario
- College of Occupational Therapists of Ontario
- College of Optometrists of Ontario
- College of Physicians and Surgeons of Ontario
- College of Physiotherapists of Ontario
- College of Psychologists of Ontario
- College of Registered Psychotherapists and Registered Mental Health Therapists of Ontario
If service animals are prohibited by another law, Great Gulf Group of Companies will explain why the animal is excluded and discuss with the customer another way of providing the good, services or facilities to ensure people with disabilities can access our goods, services or facilities.
A person with a disability may be accompanied by a support person on our premises. In certain cases, Great Gulf Group of Companies might require a person with a disability to be accompanied by a support person for the health and/or safety reasons of the person with the disability or others on our premises
The following steps will be taken to make this consideration:
- consult with the person with a disability to understand their needs
- consider health or safety reasons based on available evidence
- determine if there is no other reasonable way to protect the health or safety of the person or others on the premises
Notice of Temporary Service Disruption
If there is a problem with facilities, equipment or services that people with disabilities rely on, Great Gulf Group of Companies will provide notice to the public in an accessible format. The notice will include information about the reason for the disruption, its anticipated length of time, and a description of alternative facilities or services, if available. The means of providing this notice will be dependent on the situation and nature of the issue. Great Gulf Group of Companies is committed to making alternative arrangements to provide their services wherever possible.
Great Gulf Group of Companies will provide accessible customer service training to:
- all employees and volunteers;
- anyone involved in developing our policies;
- anyone who provides goods, services or facilities to customers on our behalf.
Staff will be trained on accessible customer service as soon as practicable after being hired.
Training will include:
- purpose of the Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act, 2005 and the requirements of the customer service standard
- Great Gulf Group of Companies’s policies related to the customer service standard
- how to interact and communicate with people with various types of disabilities
- how to interact with people with disabilities who use an assistive device or require the assistance of a service animal or a support person
- how to use the equipment or devices available on-site or otherwise that may help with providing goods, services or facilities to people with disabilities.
- what to do if a person with a disability is having difficulty accessing Great Gulf Group of Companies’s goods, services or facilities
Additional training will be provided when changes are made to our accessible customer service policies.
Great Gulf Group of Companies welcomes feedback on how accessible customer service is provided to help us identify barriers and respond to concerns.
Feedback regarding the way Great Gulf Group of Companies provides goods, services or facilities to people with disabilities can be provided:
- in person
- by telephone
- in writing
- by email or
- by any other means of communication
All feedback, may be directed to:
- Mail or in person to:
- Great Gulf Group of Companies
351 King Street East
- (416) 449-1340
Customers can expect to receive a response in ten (10) days.
Feed processes will always be made available in accessible formats and communication supports, on request.
Notice of availability of documents
Great Gulf Group of Companies will post accessibility policies on their website and notify the public that further documents related to accessible customer service, are available upon request.
Great Gulf Group of Companies will provide this document in an accessible format or with communication support, on request consulting with the person making the request to determine the suitability of the format or communication support. Accessible formats will be provided in a timely manner and at no additional cost.
Modifications to this or other policies
Great Gulf Group of Companies will ensure its policies respect and promote the principles of dignity, independence, integration and equal opportunity for people with disabilities, any polices or practices contrary to this will be modified or removed.