Food & Beverage - Jr. Sous Chef
Jr. Sous Chef
Do you have a passion for food, high standards and enjoy leading a team of culinary staff? Come work, play and stay in beautiful Muskoka this summer (Staff Housing Available)! Taboo Muskoka is a privately owned Resort and Golf Operation whose mandate is to 'Create happiness by offering incredible Muskoka experiences to our guests and team.” Our Culinary team at the Boathouse Restaurant plays a critical role in ensuring this happens and we are looking and for a Jr. Sous Chef to join the team!
The health and safety of our staff, condo owners and guests is paramount and only candidates fully vaccinated and willing to comply with the new Covid-19 policies and protocols will be considered.
Reporting to the Head Chef you assist with the control and ownership for the management of the culinary department, ensuring that the brand values and standards are delivered and budgeted profitability achieved.
KEY RESPONSIBILITIES INCLUDE:
- Oversees and directs kitchen before, during and after service.
- Expedites food items. Calls the line, calls service, checks quality and correctness of food prior to it going through the pass. Organizes food runners. Acts as the point person for all food coming out of the kitchen.
- Relieves Head Chef on days off
- Select, train, evaluate, lead, motivate, coach, and discipline all employees in the kitchen’s food production area to ensure that established cultural and core standards are met.
- Assist in creating monthly training schedules and execute trainings professionally and up to set standards.
- Assist in the planning and development of recipes, and ensure the correct preparation and presentation is at a consistent level for all food items prepared through production and demonstration.
- Monitor food receiving shipments to ensure they meet established purchasing specifications as well and foster an awareness of the importance of food preparation and quality.
- To ensure all stocks are stored and rotated correctly in line with Food Safety requirements, following company policy to meet statutory legislation. This to include recording temperature checks of food commodities.
- To assist in ensuring the profitability of food operations and gross profit management. This to include carrying out food stock-takes as required.
- To follow all procedures and processes for food and beverage controls to meet resort requirements.
- To assist with maintaining and improvement of departmental operating standards.
- To be fully aware of and strictly observe Food Safety regulations and requirements.
- To attend training when required.
- To be fully aware of and strictly observe Health & Safety and fire procedures.
- To be fully aware of and comply with hotel and company rules and regulations as identified in the team member handbook.
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE
- 3 + years’ experience in casual fine dining kitchen, including 2 years experience in a leadership role in the kitchen.
- Completion of chef training diploma.
- Ontario Food Handlers Certification (Required)
- Red Seal Certification (Preferred)
- Ability to use computer including Microsoft Word, Excel and Outlook
- Ability to report on food costing, labour reports and scheduling
- Indoors and outdoors in a hot industrial kitchen
- Fast, high pressure environment
- Standing 90% of the time.
- Occasional lifting up to 50 pounds
- Use of sharp knives and tools, hot equipment and liquids, stoves, etc.
- Occasional kneeling, pushing or pulling.
- Ability to work a variety of shifts including, days, evening, weekends and holidays.
BENEFITS OF WORKING AT TABOO MUSKOKA
- Great people, beautiful location, safe, inclusive, diverse and fun work environment!
- $1000 bonus for completing your contract
- $500 for referring fellow team members and earn $ for bringing in business
- Complimentary 2-night stay (off season)
- Complimentary use of resort amenities including trails, bikes, beach, pools, tennis, golf, gym
- Staff housing available (located in town of Gravenhurst - short 7kms or 5 mins from the resort)
- Shuttle services to and from staff housing and the resort
- 50% rebate on housing costs upon completion of your contract
- Paid training
- Potential room for career advancement
- Staff (and friends and family) discounts on meals, rooms, merchandise and golf
- Staff parties, Staff appreciation days, Trivia Nights, $$ rewards and recognition program
- Employee Wellness Program
Taboo Muskoka is committed to providing a fair and equitable work environment and encourages applications from qualified women, men, visible minorities, aboriginal peoples and persons with disabilities. As per the Ontario Human Rights Code and the Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act (AODA), Taboo Muskoka will accommodate the needs of applicants with disabilities throughout all stages of the selection process. If you need accommodation during the recruitment process, please advise Human Resources.
Please be aware that Taboo Muskoka has a mandatory vaccination policy in effect for all employees.
To be eligible to apply for this position you must be legally entitled to work in Canada. We are not accepting International applicants without a valid work permit. We thank all applicants for their interest. Only successful candidates will be contacted.
Taboo Muskoka is committed to protecting the health and safety of our employees, suppliers, and our customers and visitors. Employment with Taboo Muskoka is conditional upon you having received all required doses of a COVID-19 vaccine series approved by Health Canada at least 14 days prior to your start date. You must provide a copy of your Ministry of Health COVID-19 Vaccine Dose. If you have a medical reason, or any other reason pursuant to the Ontario Human Rights Code, for not being fully vaccinated now or in the future, you may submit a written request for accommodation with an explanation of the ground and/or any supporting documentation to assist in the determination of exemption from this condition.