Do you have a passion for food, high standards and enjoy leading a team of culinary staff? Come work, play and stay in beautiful Muskoka this summer (Staff Housing Available)! Taboo Muskoka is a privately owned Resort and Golf Operation whose mandate is to 'Create happiness by offering incredible Muskoka experiences to our guests and team.” Our Culinary team plays a critical role in ensuring this happens and we are looking and for a Head Chef to join the team!
Reporting to the Director of F&B, you will manage the culinary department, ensuring that the brand values and standards are delivered and budgeted profitability achieved.
Responsible for the creation of all outlet menus in collaboration with the Director of F&B, using the utmost creativity. Works parallel to Director of F&B and shares responsibility for the hiring, training, supervising and scheduling of kitchen staff for all outlets. Instructs and guides kitchen staff to ensure highest standards of food production and decrease wastage. Ensures clean and organized work environment. Supervises and directs function of the line during service. Maintains all kitchen related expenses and food costs in accordance with the guidelines and budgets provided.
Due to Covid-19, operations are not business as usual. The health and safety of our staff, condo owners and guests is paramount and only candidates willing to comply with the new Covid-19 policies and protocols will be considered.
- Creates, collaborates and coordinates with production and preparation of all menu items for all F&B outlets for Taboo Muskoka including Bar 19, 19th Gastro Pub, The Boathouse, and Corporate Events.
- Establishes and maintains department objectives, standards and guidelines and budgets to ensure proper management of the department for resort and golf.
- Monitors and evaluates staffing levels, food purchasing, production, and inventories to control costs and waste.
- Assists in the hiring, training, motivating, evaluation and management of staff to ensure team members receive adequate guidance and resources to accomplish established objectives.
- Develop strategic purchasing practice and works directly with the F&B Director to ensure best price and quality of foods purchased.
- Maintains ultimate cleanliness of all golf & restaurant kitchen areas; makes decisions for necessary corrective action in order to maintain company and health department standards to avoid risk of citation.
- Coordinates and assists with cleaning of kitchen after service.
- Directs culinary teams to ensure smooth service.
- Work alongside Director of Food & Beverage to analyze food costs and forecast business trends in order to make recommendations for revision of menu prices that will achieve departmental and resort budgets.
- Accurate preparation, review and comprehension of all documentation and communication.
- Create “Recipe Book” inclusive of preparation instructions and plating photos.
- Prepare par level preparation sheets for all outlets.
- Prepare ordering lists for all outlets
- Prepare Kitchen Cleaning checklist for all outlets
- Prepare Kitchen Opening/Closing responsibility check lists for all BOH operations
- Revamp and testing of menu items for all outlets– prepare tasting dishes.
- Lead (for BPH) and assist with staff orientation.
- Conduct walkthrough of Boathouse and Golf kitchens to determine equipment and small ware needs.
- Spearhead golf & resort Food & Beverage events, ensure that execution is spot on and of the highest standards.
- Any other duties as assigned.
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE (Education, Experience, Knowledge & Skills)
- High school level English communication skills.
- Full understanding of budgets and financial reports.
- Previous Head Chef Experience minimum 3 years.
- Minimum three years’ experience in casual fine dining, pub, and Mexican kitchen, including a la carte and volume production experience.
- Diploma from a reputable Culinary Institute.
- Red Seal Certified.
- Food Handlers Certification.
Benefits of Working at Taboo Muskoka
- Health & Dental benefits
- paid training!
- free golf!
- staff (and friends and family) discounts on meals, rooms and golf (discounts for friends and family)
- staff parties, rewards and recognition program
- $$ for referring fellow team members and bringing in business
- use of facilities including trails, bikes, beach, pools, tennis, golf (guests come first of course)
- staff housing available (located in town of Gravenhurst - short 7kms from resort)
Taboo Muskoka is committed to providing a fair and equitable work environment and encourages applications from qualified women, men, visible minorities, aboriginal peoples and persons with disabilities. As per the Ontario Human Rights Code and the
Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act (AODA), Taboo Muskoka will accommodate the needs of applicants with disabilities throughout all stages of the selection process. If you need accommodation during the recruitment process, please advise Human Resources.
To be eligible to apply for this position you must be legally entitled to work in Canada. We are not accepting International applicants without a valid work permit. We thank all applicants for their interest. Only successful candidates will be contacted.