High Rise - Development Manager
Senior Vice President, Development; or Vice President, Development
351 King Street East, Toronto
Occasional travel, within North America up to 25% dependent on business need.
The Development Manager position oversees all aspects of development for assigned projects located in the Greater Toronto Area, and in various other current/potential jurisdictions throughout North America. The Development Manager will manage and/or participate in all aspects of development, from project acquisition, design and entitlement, through marketing/sales to project finance, construction and project completion at occupancy/registration and post-registration warranty processes.
- Manage the approval processes, including: Rezoning/Official Plan Amendments, Committee of Adjustment, OLAT hearings, Site Plan Approval, building permits, and condominium registration
- Work with municipalities and various levels of authorities to coordinate and further the progress of various projects
- Attend public meetings/community consultations when required
- Collaborate with legal counsel and advisors on various agreements with authorities, partners, neighbors, consultants, etc. as needed
- Participate with legal and customer care team to complete Tarion registration and warranties
- Provide direction to design and engineering consultants
- Coordinate with marketing and sales team and construction teams to oversee design of projects that meet budget and market demands
- Managing consultants and work with construction team to design, value engineer, and execute budget and schedule
- Work with construction team/consultants to resolve construction details as needed
- Responsible for creating and managing budgets and pro-formas in partnership with accounting/finance and construction
- In collaboration with the construction team and consultants manage project schedule (pre-development, pre-construction, construction, and post-construction), participate in the preparation of tender packages
- Work with operation team and property management to prepare condominium operating budgets and design specifications
- Review consultant and project invoices, and coordinate with accounting
- Assist with providing information for the Great Gulf Quarterly Board reporting, as required
- Assist with providing information for partnership reporting, as required
- Responsible for reviewing contracts and supporting negotiations
- On an ongoing basis, review existing agreements and consider amendments as necessary
- Maintain in-depth knowledge of project costs, schedules, and risks
- Ensure senior leadership team are completely up to date on all project costs, schedule and potential risks allowing for the opportunity of proper risk management if necessary
- Other duties as assigned
COMMUNICATION/INFLUENCING OTHERS (Contacts)
This position requires both written and verbal communication skills to communicate with both internal (other departments) and external (customers and trades) stakeholders.
This position builds and maintains relationships with outside consultants and government officials.
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE (Education, Experience, Knowledge & Skills)
- 5-7 years of industry experience required, ideally in development management
- Bachelor of Urban Planning, Architecture or Engineering required
- Comfortable forecasting and working within a budget throughout a projects’ lifespan and completing projects on budget
- General knowledge of market conditions required
- Thorough understanding of construction means, methods and schedules
- Must be able to work independently, while keeping lines of communication open with leadership team and key partners
- Development experience required, including but not limited to scheduling, budgeting, etc.
- Comfortable, collaborating with a diverse team within Great Gulf, as well as consultants, liaising with authorities having jurisdiction, etc.
- Superior written and verbal communication skills
- Collaborative team approach – ensuring the relevant parties are kept apprised of important information as projects progress
- Ability to be on site when needed and interact with construction manager
Office setting. Long periods sitting and working on computer and phone.
The Great Gulf Group (“GGG”) is committed to protecting the health and safety of our employees, our tradespeople and suppliers, and our customers and visitors. Employment with GGG is conditional upon you having received all required doses of a COVID-19 vaccine series approved by Health Canada at least 14 days prior to your start date. You must provide a copy of your Ministry of Health COVID-19 Vaccine Dose. If you have a medical reason, or any other reason pursuant to the Ontario Human Rights Code, for not being fully vaccinated now or in the future, you may submit a written request for accommodation with an explanation of the ground and/or any supporting documentation to assist in the determination of exemption from this condition.